Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Dubliners

DublinersDubliners by James Joyce

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


There were stories that I enjoyed and stories that I did not get at all. James Joyce is an interesting and talented author. I love his work. As I tried to read Dubliners I tried to place myself in an Irishman's shoes. It was hard. I didn't really know the culture nor did I understand the time period. As I did some research I discovered more about James Joyce and in doing that I discovered more about the characters. Each story has layers of meaning. They can be applied to a variety of people.



I am not sure if I have a favorite in Dubliners but I have a few that continue to fascinate me and cause me to question its meaning. I really enjoyed "The Sisters", "Araby", and "Eveline". These stories were the ones that I wanted to know more about. At the end I was left with unanswered questions that caused me to go and look for the answers. If you are willing to take the time to understand James Joyce, you will learn a lot!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment