Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Public Domain

The Public Domain: Enclosing the Commons of the MindThe Public Domain: Enclosing the Commons of the Mind by James Boyle

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Not necessarily the book that I would pick up to read for fun but it contained lots of useful and at times interesting information. I think that James Boyle does a great job in engaging the reader. I found the best way to read his book was not to read it from front to back but to just jump right in the center and bounce around from there. It might have been that I was reading it in an online version so my attention span was not the longest.



He made some very good points on the public domain and where we should draw the lines on intellectual property and when we should allow people to have creative freedom. I really enjoyed the spots when he discussed how we often build upon the past. Music artists, or stories, or really any other form of creative work almost always has built upon an idea from the past. We are borrowing all the time. It is just interesting to think how much to too much borrowing and when can we keep sharing that information?





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment