Thursday, May 19, 2011

Spoiler Alert

For those of you who have not read Dubliners I thought I would give you a brief summary of the two stories that I mentioned in my earlier posts.

"Araby"- This story is about an unnamed boy (in the youtube video he is Seamus) who is infatuated with one of his friend's sister. He idealizes her and when he finally is able to talk to her he offers to go to Araby for her, a bazaar, and bring her back something. He is very excited and believes that this is a great mission he is on. When he arrives at the bazaar his idealized notions of love and things exotic are shattered. He kind of comes to reality and leaves the bazaar with nothing.

"Eveline"- This story is about a girl who lives with her father. Her mother has died and so has one of her brothers. Her other brother is out in the world. She has met a man, Frank, and he has promised to take her away from her home. (She is afraid that her father will beat her like he did with her brothers). However, before she leaves she hears an organ and it reminds her of the promise she made to her mother to take care of her father. As she is leaving with Frank she panics and realizes she can't go with him. She leaves, and exhibits no emotion on her face.

If I mention any more stories in my blog I will be sure to give you a brief summary so you may understand what I am talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment